Results Snapshot

I write this late in the evening on election day. NBC is calling Obama the winner. It is a tricky business to estimate who is going to win. However the outcome seems clear given the electoral vote advantage that Obama has. As of a little after 11PM, Obama has 284 electoral votes compared to 146 for McCain. You only need 270 electoral votes to win the election. It appears that Obama was victorious.

Obama won a number of key states that corresponded to many electoral votes. For example he won New York with 31 electoral votes. And he also won California with 55 electoral votes. McCain on the other hand, seemed to win smaller states with less electoral votes. The one big state McCain won was Texas with 34 electoral votes. The only state too close to call that had many electoral votes was Florida with 27 electoral votes.

It had been a long and hard race for McCain. He seemed to lose steam after the current financial crisis reached its peak. There was a blip in the radar with excitement over his choice of Sarah Palin as Vice Presidential running mate. That did not last for long. Obama had the staying power. Record number of Americans came to the polls. I heard reports that this many voters had not come out since 1920 when women won the right to vote.

This event winds down the 2008 race. I might post some more about the events that lead up to the January inauguration of Obama. However the election portion is done. Who knows? Perhaps I shall start writing about Election 2012 a bit early. I feel like I want to do more for my chosen candidate than I did this time. Yes I went out and rocked the vote. Sometimes it takes more than that to get your candidate to win.