Mike Huckabee

To tell the truth, I really knew hardly anything about Mike Huckabee before writing this blog. I could not pick him out from a lineup. No clue what his background is. He should be lucky that I am doing some research and will consider his views. As usual, I started with his offical web site to get the 411.

This guy gets some points for his web site right off the bat. He has a blog. And now I see he used to be the governor of Arkansas. Looks like Bill Clinton may have paved the way for a Republican. Mike's bio shows he achieved a lot of success at a young age. And hello, the guy was a pastor. Good for him. But now let's see where he stands on the big issues.

Mike is tough on illegal immigration. Check. Comes right out and says he is pro life. Check. Mike is against universal health care. Sounds good. Now here comes the zinger. Mike wants to "completely eliminate all federal income and payroll taxes". Now I am all for lower taxes. But WTF? The government needs income to run. This may just make me label Mike a radical. Mike defines marriages as union between man and woman. Check. Mike commits to energy independence by the end of his second term. A bit presumptuous yes. But he is putting a goal on record and I can respect that. Finally Mike supports the right to bear arms. Very American.

It seems that Mike Huckabee has a great stance on all the issues that are important to me. If only he did not have this radical and crazy idea to eliminate income taxes, he would have my vote and I could stop the search here. But I don't think I can support someone with such a radical idea that cannot seem to fly. Sure not paying income taxes sounds good on the surface. But more importantly I do not want the government, and in turn America, to fall apart due to such a radical stance.